Travel sickness is also known as motion sickness which happens when the CNS (central nervous system) starts receiving mixed messages from the inner ear and eyes resulting in nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.
As one who has been suffering from motion sickness for over 20years and still loves to travel, I have been able to find ways around this inconvenience.
Things To Note:
- Once you arrive at your destination, all symptoms of motion sickness disappear in about 30mins to 45mins
- I also realized I do not feel any symptom if I’m the one driving (These excludes airplanes as I’m not trained to fly)
How have I been able to combat my travel sickness problem? (Personal remedy)
- I realized whenever I’m in the airplane, trucks or cars exception bikes (no symptoms on bike), and sleep, I’m good to go. My body is not aware of any movement so I’m perfect.
2. Avoid reading a book or watching films or staring at screens. One can stay longer if one avoid doing these things.
3. Try to be as comfortable as possible; Choose a spacious, seat space where you are not stuffed.
4. Do not fill your stomach but eat light foods (take mint or mint gum).
5. Try as much as possible to stay off milk-related products.
Lastly, sometimes when I focus majorly on the road, it gets better.
Most times, travel sickness can be actively managed if you observe what best works for you. For example, I know what works for me and sometimes, I combine different treatments together However, if you have severe symptoms and you can’t get a hold of it, there are some kinds of medicine you can take for motion sickness.
It is the most commonly used medication for motion sickness. Antihistamines stop histamines so as to block symptoms of allergy.
Another drug used for travel sickness is Dramamine tablets which also prevent and stops allergy symptoms without causing drowsiness.
Let me know what works for you in the comment section below and let’s help others.